- Legal Workshop: Bankruptcy
- 08/21/2014 - 08/22/2014
- NACM - Columbia
- Legal Workshops
Despite every diligent effort and safeguard, it is inevitable that at some point in one's career, each credit executive will find themselves encountering a customer's bankruptcy. Often this happens with no advance warning. Sometimes, the creditor has time to take precautionary steps to protect itself once the bankruptcy has been filed. This workshop is intended to be a soup to nuts approach on the Bankruptcy Code and the changes resulting from the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005. The program will include discussions on the impact of a trade creditor's ability to collect its claim and a creditor's resources to evaluate whether to extend credit to a debtor in bankruptcy.
The Bankruptcy Program's primary focus will be:
- Bankruptcy Nuts and Bolts: A Quick Guide to the Basics in Bankruptcy
- Automatic Stay and Discharge Issues
- Claims issues (including priorities, claim filings, deadlines, objections)
- Secured vs. Unsecured Claims, including state and federal lien and trust fund rights that enhance the ability to collect a claim: the do's and don'ts
- Essential Vendor Treatment
- Reclamation Rights and Pitfalls
- "20 day" Administrative Claim
- Executory Contracts: What are they? What to do about them?
- Setoff and Recoupment: Hidden Gold
- Sales and Puts of Claims: The Risks and the Rewards
- Preferences: the Good, Bad and Ugly
- Creditors' Committees
- Chapter 11 Plan Process
- Non-bankruptcy Alternatives, such as Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors and Out of Court Compositions
- The Bankruptcy Program will also touch upon:
- Voluntary vs. involuntary bankruptcy
- The risks to an involuntary petitioner
- The new obligations of Creditors' Committees and how they are being handled
- The benefits and risks of selling to a chapter 11 debtor (is a priority administrative claim enough or should you seek enhancements?)
- Exceptions to Discharge
Questions and participant interaction are encouraged.
- 8840 Columbia 100 Pkwy.
NACM - National headquarters located in Columbia, MD.
EventList powered by schlu.net